Department of Biotechnology
Vertical Core courses and Laboratories:
Program Educational Objectives (PEO's)
The Biotechnology department is dedicated to graduating engineers who,
- Have a strong foundation and ability to apply the engineering and life science fundamentals, modern tools and techniques, mathematics, science and humanities to conceive, analyze, design and implement solutions to the problems in areas of Molecular biotechnology and Bioprocess engineering.
- Have a broad-based background to practice biotechnology engineering in a variety of fields including recombinant DNA technology, fermentation technology, biopharmaceuticals and computational biology.
- Have an understanding of professional and ethical obligations of engineers with awareness of contemporary issues, professional responsibility, impact of technology on society and the need for lifelong learning.
- Have an ability to participate in team oriented, open ended activities that prepare them to work in integrated engineering teams and communicate effectively using modern tools.
- Have an ability to pursue higher education, engage in research and development activities, develop entrepreneurial quality and add value to the organization by continuous learning.
Program Outcomes (PO's)
The graduates will have ability to,
PO 1: Engineering knowledge
Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization for the solution of complex engineering problems.
PO 2: Problem analysis
Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyse complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
PO 3: Design/Development of Solutions
Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, and cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
PO 4: Conduct investigations of complex problems
Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
PO 5: Modern tool usage:
Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations
PO 6: The engineer and society
Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal, and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
PO 7: Environment and sustainability
Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development
PO 8: Ethics
Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
PO 9: Individual and team work
Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
PO 10: Communication
Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with t h e society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
PO 11: Project management and finance
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of t h e engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
PO 12: Life-long learning
Recognise the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSO)
PSO 1: Good Lab Practices (GLP):
Demonstrate adequate proficiency of good laboratory practices in terms of accuracy & precision, safety, ethics and reproducibility and able to follow standard operating procedures (SOP).
PSO 2: Process & Product Development:
Demonstrate proficiency of Bioprocess Technology towards development of processes and products in global context.
PSO 3: Research aptitude:
Apply the knowledge of engineering & applied science to demonstrate research aptitude/skills in frontier areas of biotechnology.
Incorporated under KLE Technological University
Act - 2012 ; Karnataka Act 22 of 2013
©2015 KLE Technological University